Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Life Experience: Epilogue

The New Age

Despite my pre-conceived notions on old people and technology, it turns out everyone at the tournament has a Facebook account. Well, Larry doesn't, but he has a Geocities webpage, so, he's sort of tech-savvy. I'm currently friends with John and Rick. Rick's site has links to pretty much every Tiddlywinks resource you could ever want, and John's a pretty cool cat for a high-schooler. Speaking of links, if you check here you'll find that I'm currently ranked 36th in the world, due to a halfway decent showing against some of the top guys in the world. I'm also on the Yahoo! Group for updates to the winking world, including scheduling for upcoming events. The guys are trying to organize a national doubles game before year's end. We'll see who I can rope into going.

Matthew Fayers has since returned to his home in London, but we had an opportunity to play a couple friendly games before he went. One of them he beat me 5-2, the other, I got him, 4-3. Maybe it wasn't a tournament, and maybe he wasn't trying his hardest, but it was a great feeling, finally getting the ups on a guy who taught me so much about the game.

It was a fun experience, despite the beat-down I took for most of the games, the wildly uncomfortable water-bed I slept on for two nights, and the headache I had with JetBlue both to and from D.C. I booked the right flight number and schedule according to Matt, but I didn't check the day. I ended up booking the flight for Monday instead of Sunday. So, my options were to stay an extra day in Virginia, or pay a premium to get re-scheduled.

Bless Larry and Cathy's heart, they offered to let me stay there, but, I had no means of traveling, nothing to do during the day, and I was burnt out on the trip in a number of ways. So, I paid upwards of $100 to get my flight home. When I got there, I immediately indulged in three things notably absent from the trip; salt, beer, and the loving embrace of a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment